My Dearest Love by Billy Burgess

My Dearest Love

by Billy Burgess


1943

Elizabeth Lambert pulled back the flowered curtains and watched the sunrise, the first she’d witnessed without her beloved Michael. She closed her eyes and wished she could see him walking toward the house wearing his Navy uniform.

The door to the bedroom creaked open. Her younger sister, Rose, walked in, wrapped in a pink robe.

“I thought I heard you walking around in here.”

“Couldn’t sleep. I just can’t believe….he’s actually gone.”

“Maybe he’s still alive. It’s possible.”

Elizabeth looked away from the window and gave a half smile. “Part of me feels he’s still is, but then I tell myself there’s no way he could have survived the crash.” She turned her attention to the right corner of the room, where an oak crib rested.

Tears trickled down her face. “Michael never even knew. I didn’t go to the doctor until after he got drafted into the war. I thought about writing him, but what man wants to find out he’s a father through a letter?”

The baby, Clara, gave out a cry. Elizabeth walked across the room and picked the baby up, cradling her in her arms.

“It just crossed my mind that Clara will never get the chance to be held by her father.”

“Here let me take her.” Rose reached out as if to take the baby from Elizabeth.

“No, she needs to be fed.”

Elizabeth sat down in the rocking chair, next to the bed. Michael had built it for her birthday three years ago. She unbuttoned her pale green nightgown letting her daughter drink from her breast.

“I should go and help Ma get started on breakfast. Will you be okay?”

“I’ll be fine.”

Rose left, shutting the door behind her. Elizabeth rocked, thinking about the day Michael died.”

***

Two months ago in this very rocking chair, she was knitting Clara a blanket, when a truck pulled up to the house.

There was no need for her to go to the window to see who was outside. She recognized the sound of the Michael’s truck; the truck his father has been driving since he went to war.

Elizabeth went downstairs because she was worried about not hearing from Michael for several weeks.

From the expression on his face, she knew something awful had happened to Michael.

Elizabeth rose and carefully placed Clara back in the crib.

Michael’s last letter sat on top of the cupboard. She picked it up and began reading it.

March 19, 1943

My Dearest Love,

I received your letter last week. I was so happy to hear from you. Your letter put a smile on my face. I’m so happy that you’re waiting for me to come home. Knowing this helps me get through the days. I love you so much! I wish every night that you could be in my arms, so I can hold and protect you. I miss you so much! Not a minute goes by that I don’t think about you. I love you. As soon as I get home, I want us to pick a date to say our vows to one another.

Love,

Michael

P.S. I promise I’ll be home soon.





Billy Burgess, Author & Book Reviewer, is a multipublished author and his pieces have appeared or are forthcoming in magazines/ezines such as STORIES FOR CHILDREN, MY LIGHT MAGAZINE, LONG STORY SHORT, SFC NEWSLETTER FOR WRITERS, POPCORN MAGAZINE, YA LITERATURE REVIEW AND ONCE UPON A TIME.

His Website, Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer, is home to reviews, news, ‘ramblings of a coffee addicted writer’; http://ramblingsofacoffeeaddictedwrter.blogspot.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment